Sunday, October 9, 2016

How You Can Squeeze Social Studies Into Your Reading Block

Do you have a hard time fitting Social Studies into your day? Many of us are expected to integrate it during our reading block which is really hard and honestly doesn't happen very consistently.  I love all the cute flip books and interactive notebooks too, but I cannot dedicate the time needed for them. After failing at this too many times, I began looking for close reading texts that contained Social Studies content that I could use during my Reading Block. Unfortunately, finding really good text was very hard to do. There seemed to be great text for Science, but not Social Studies.

How I squeezed Social Studies into my Reading Block

Finally, I decided to make my own. My goal was to create a close reading text that students could use in whole or small group as well as in literacy centers. I wanted a resource that was flexible, so that I could squeeze it into different areas as needed. After all, teaching Social Studies is important and my students deserve to learn this important content, so I need to find a way. 

The first set is for the 3rd Grade Civics and Government strand and includes three passages with ELA Common Core question stems and a Social Studies Connection question. The three passages are:


Three close reading texts with ELA and Social Studies question stems.

For each passage, I have included both ELA and Social Studies questions, so that students are using close reading to increase comprehension of the text as well as gain Social Studies content knowledge.

This also gives students valuable practice responding to questions in complete sentences and citing text evidence.

Social Studies close reading text with ELA question stems.
I love the flexibility of these close reading passages! You can use them as the primary text when teaching Social Studies concepts or as a supplement to a Social Studies activity that you do have time for! As an added bonus, you can take both an ELA and a Social Studies grade.

Social Studies close reading passage with ELA and Social Studies quesitions.
So if you need to squeeze Social Studies content into your Reading Block, this resource is perfect! Just a quick click on this link and you can preview it for yourself!


Civics and Government Close Reading for 3rd Grade






No comments: