Friday, June 10, 2016

Five for Friday - June 10th



School year 2015-16 is in the books! Today was my last day until August 8th. Woo Hoo! Here's my week:



Tropical Storm Colin paid us a visit this week. Usually weather (particularly tropical storms and hurricanes) pester us at back to school time, so this one came as a surprise. A few school districts near the coast of Florida cancelled class on Monday, but thankfully not us. If we take a weather day, we have to make it up. I'm leaving this Saturday for my vacation and there is NO way I want to make up a school day from the LAST week of school! Turns out, Monday was nothing. It was Tuesday that turned into a monsoon around here. All's well that ends well because we survived the constant pouring of rain and school WAS NOT cancelled. Close call!





Our first annual last week of school career day was on Tuesday.  Whoever thought of this for the last week of school is a genius!  Even though Tropical Storm Colin came through at the same time, it was amazing and the kids loved it!  It's so hard to keep them engaged and out of trouble at this time of the year and this little activity did the trick! We learned about a beekeeper, a flight nurse, a Crossfit Instructor, a correctional officer, and the owner of two 7-11 stores. My curious little kiddos asked the BEST questions! I was quite impressed at the knowledge one little guy had about beekeeping - who knew?



Class party and water balloons - need I say more?








Our school like others has a talent show each year.  I am always amazed and impressed at how these little kids get up in front of hundreds of their peers and perform.  I mean I would NEVER! I can get up in front of a group of kids and teach my heart out - even sing to them - but not in front of hundreds of my peers. My favorite this year was a first grader telling jokes. He was so adorable, but what was so funny was how hard the little kindergartners and firsties laughed at his jokes. It was hysterical! #ilovemyjob 



If you use Accelerated Reader in your school, you might like my latest resource - AR Chart by 5's and AR Chart by 10's - Chalkboard & Polka Dots. Since I'm moving to 4th grade next year and moving rooms as well, I decided to create a new one for my classroom.  
If you are a chalkboard and polka dots girl like me, head on over to my store and check out my previews for both the chart by 5's and 10's!



Thanks for stopping by!  Next week, I will be resting and relaxing at a Outer Banks beach house.  Looking forward to sleeping, reading, and generally doing nothing! Hope you are already on your summer break or really close to it!

Don't forget to check out all the other blog posts on this linky!


6 comments:

Rachel Joy Rojas said...

The talent show sounds awesome! I can just imagine the cute little stand-up comedian :)

ithappenedin3rd said...

Your career day sounds awesome...what a fun list of careers!

kristineweinersclass.com said...

Isn't it amazing how much talent there is among all of our little ones. How fun!

Linda Groce said...

That really looked like a nasty storm!! I'm in the Atlanta area, so we missed any heavy rains from that. Enjoy your vacation!! Linda's Learning Loot

Liveloveserveteach said...

Oh boy! Glad Tropical Storm Colin didn't cause a school cancellation. We've just returned from 2 years in the Bahamas so I understand how pesky those storms can be! The career day sounds amazing! Beekeeping would be fascinating for kids. Enjoy your vacation!
Joya :)

The Corriganite Nation said...

Thank goodness you didn't have to make up a day from the last week of school.. That would have been the worst! Enjoy your summer :)