Saturday, August 8, 2015

Teacher Time Savers Linky Party



Timesaver ideas for teachers. Now that's a list I would be pretty happy to have!  There are a million things to do and very little time to do them.  So, when I started thinking about a timesaver to share with you, I thought about classroom jobs. Because this little change in your classroom job routine will make a huge difference. Almost every teacher has classroom jobs, so this is a universal teacher timesaver.

Soooo, what is my super helpful time saving tip? First, the disclaimer:  this is not my original idea, but an idea I found on Pinterest a few years ago.  I tried it and it was pure genius!  My super helpful idea is.....classroom jobs are kept for 4-5 weeks at a time, not changed out each week. How does this save time?  

1 -Students get really good at their job, so I don't have to train, retrain, remind, or in the end - do it myself.  

~and~

2 - They train their replacements.



Now I know most teachers will tell you that they want their students to be able to do all the classroom jobs sometime during the year, and that would be nice for them. But honestly, the real reason we do classroom jobs is to help us. We just can't do everything. This method gets all those little tasks taken care of, allows students to become proficient at their job, and SAVES us time. All you have to do is change the jobs at the interim report card and the 9 week report card. Your students will do the rest.

So, that's my teacher timesaver.  I hope you try it and enjoy the extra time it gives you to do the important stuff - teaching!

***************************************
If you are looking for a quick math center, check out my True or False? Prove It! Centers. They are perfect for 2nd - 4th grade and they are so easy and fast to prepare plus they get those little mathematicians writing about their math thinking!
**************************************

                                            

Thanks to Tammy from Literacy Loves Company for the fun and helpful Teacher Time Savers Linky Party! Make sure you check all of the timesaving tips from teacher bloggers on this link up!



3 comments:

Ariana Morrow said...

Having longer periods of time assigned for students to do their jobs is also great when differentiating for special needs students in your room. It frequently takes them longer than their general education peers to learn how to do a job. Weekly job changes can make it difficult for these students to ever become independent at the steps needed to complete their assigned job. Thank you for sharing this!!

Rissa Hanneken said...

Thank you so much for sharing that information about our special needs students! I had not thought of that benefit and I'm so glad you shared it!

Tammy Danley said...

This is a great tip! I started keeping my class jobs the same for a whole trimester a few years ago. The kids get "fired" before winter break and spring break. :) My students really get to know their jobs and take pride in doing when well. Thanks for sharing this as part of the linky party!
Tammy
Literacy Loves Company