Friday, July 31, 2015

Beliefs to Action - We Are What We Think



With Love from Texas blogger Whitney Alexanderson challenged teachers to put into writing what their beliefs were and what actions they are or will put into place as a result of these beliefs. I have accepted this challenge and here is what I believe.




All educators have beliefs about their profession and about their students. It goes with the territory. 

Here's mine:


I believe every child can learn & I believe that I should have high expectations for all of my students. These two beliefs go hand in hand.  When a child walks through my classroom door, this is my truth. I don't let anything get in the way of this - not family situations, not economics, not disabilities, not perceived intelligence. Every child can and should learn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe that the relationship I have with my students has EVERYTHING to do with how much they learn when they are in my classroom.  High expectations, respect, love, a belief in them, and a safe and happy classroom create an environment that supports their learning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe it takes a village to raise a child.  This is an old adage, but I believe it's true.  Parents, teachers, lunchroom ladies, librarians, bus drivers, are all important to this education equation. We need to support and respect each other in this process. It's what is best for children.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe kids learn best when they are having fun.  Isn't that what childhood is all about?  Fun? Let's not take the fun out of school. Give our students reasons to smile, laugh, and play. They will learn so much more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe that teaching and learning are constantly changing, so my teaching methods have to change with it.  Investing time and energy in staying up to date is absolutely essential to my value as a teacher. This ever changing environment and my attitude about it is why I love this job.  Everyday is different and with kids you never know what they will say or do! It keeps it interesting! This is why I think I have the best job in the world!

So, these are my beliefs - what am I going to do about it?



Thank you Whitney for this challenge! It really got me thinking and excited about the new school year! And I believe we are what we think.




So let's keep this hop going! Lori at Keeper of the Light and Love and Learning is up next sharing her beliefs!

Keeper of the Light and Love of Learning










4 comments:

Lori McDonald said...

I love yur idea to follow up and list what am I going to do about it.

Alison Whiteley said...

Some of the best learning and growth I've had as a Special Education teacher for my students has been with teachers that have high expectations for them and believe they can reach them.

twolittlebirds said...

I love your action plan! It really made me think about my own beliefs and how am I really going to put them into action in the classroom! It is great to reflect on my beliefs, but creating an action plan is a wonderful way to stay accountable...even on the challenging days!

Teaching Autism said...

Your beliefs are great!! I love how you take the time to get to know your students on a more personal and individual level and build relationships - i genuinely belief it's one of the most important things in the classroom!

Teaching Autism