Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Dipping my toes into the blogging world......

I've decided to dip my toes into the blogging world, so here goes.....Welcome to Teaching in the Heart of Florida!  As my bio says, I am a teacher, wife, mother, runner, decorator of home and classroom, and now a blogger.  My daughter says I am the Energizer Bunny.  Personally, I think being a teacher these days requires you to be a Type A, ADHD Super Hero!  

So, as the above mentioned Super Hero, I have been very busy this summer preparing for the new school year which starts on August 18th.  However, as you know, the real preparation begins way before the first day of school. My family vacation began the last teacher work day of this last school year, so I was officially relaxed and de-stressed one week later! Right.  I returned and immediately began taking an online PD class offered by our county, reading a new professional book Learning in the Fast Lane AND working on my new classroom theme.  So relaxing....

A couple of years ago, I discovered this amazing blog and website called Schoolgirl Style. This innovative teacher/decorator was beginning her business of selling classroom themes for teachers.  Her designs were AMAZING!  I fell in love immediately with the Bird Theme, which she had used in her own classroom.  It was so soothing and refreshing all at the same time! I spent my entire summer creating a classroom based on this theme.  It was SO much fun!  I wandered around all the craft stores and discount stores looking for accessories to make it mine. The results were incredible. When teachers, administrators, students, and parents came into my classroom, they oohed and ahed!  I LOVED that classroom, BUT when I saw that she was releasing 16 new classroom themes this past spring, I knew I was ready for a new challenge. As soon as I saw it - I knew...Nautical Monogram with navy blue and lime green!  I was in LOVE again!

Once I bought this new classroom theme, I started printing and looking for accessories. As luck would have it - I have a brother-in-law who hits every garage sale he passes.  I happened to mention my new theme and asked him to keep his eyes open for nautical type decor.  Well.....the items he has found have surpassed my wildest dreams for my new classroom theme. I can't wait to get into my classroom and start decorating!  Those pictures will be forthcoming in a few weeks!

Thank you for coming to my brand new blog! It's still under construction, so make sure you come back and see my progress.  I hope to be an inspiration to other teachers as they have been to me.  This profession is the most caring and sharing there is and we definitely are SUPER HEROES!






1 comment:

Heather Carlson said...

You are such an inspiration!! I'm so excited to follow you on this new journey. Can't wait to see your Nautical classroom. ��