Monday, July 21, 2014

Classroom Procedures Freebie

A  few years ago, I found this list of classroom procedures somewhere online and it was extremely helpful for the first weeks of school.  It's a list of all of the classroom procedures that you need to teach your new students in the first day, week, and month of the school year.  All you have to do is decide which ones have priority and need to be taught first and so on.

Bathroom procedures are always at the top of my list. Students are always a little nervous that first day and will squirm and wiggle, but are afraid to ask about when they can go to the bathroom. Next on my list is to teach lining up and lunchroom procedures, so that when we need to leave the classroom, we have already covered these. After that, I try to gauge how much new information my new babies can take before I teach anymore.  


One thing that has worked for me is to review all procedures each morning for the first few weeks. I try to make it fun and help my students feel good about knowing them. That way they are more likely to follow the procedures and consider them important. As you know, there are lots and lots of procedures in a well run classroom and this list covers the ones I use. You will probably have some that are different than mine, possibly more, and maybe less. If you need a list to get you started, just download mine from my Freebies Tab above and adjust it for your own classroom. 

No comments: